Website United States Postal Service
Performs distribution and a variety of sales and customer support services for products. Maintains pleasant and effective public relations with customers and others requiring a general familiarity with postal laws, regulations, and procedures commonly used.
- Handles and processes customer purchases and returns relating to products and services and may use a point of sale system.
- Maintains appearance of retail lobby by setting up, arranging, and replenishing displays and merchandise racks; ensures display and selling areas, work stations, and storage areas are presentable to customers.
- PSEs may be required to handle heavy sacks of mail/parcels, sort & distribute incoming/outgoing mail, and work at a service window selling postal products & services to customers.
- Distributes primary and one or more secondary schemes of incoming mail by delivery point based on a knowledge of the distribution scheme established for the office, branch or station.
- May perform additional duties such as: maintain records of mails; face and cancel mail; make emergency carrier relays; label and tie out mail for dispatch and other related duties for distribution.
- Brings inventory discrepancies and shrinkage reports to the attention of the appropriate supervisory presence.
- May verify presort and bulk mailings of all classifications computing and maintaining on a current basis mailers’ credit balances.
- Applicants must be able to perform the duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Duties are physically demanding requiring moderate to heavy lifting, carrying, prolonged standing, walking and reaching.
- Provides sales and customer service support by greeting customers and explaining store layout; determining special interests and referring to sales and promotional programs; offers assistance in product selection; provides lobby assistance that includes monitoring the retail line, directing customers to the self-service kiosk (SSK) (where applicable), and/or using Mobile Point of Service (mPOS) to complete transactions (where applicable).
- May perform passport duties as assigned, including verification of identification and photograph, administering oath, reviewing application for completeness, affixing stamp or seal on application and ensuring all documents are stored securely and mailed promptly.
- May assign and clear accountable items and distribute mail as required.
- Assists customers with transactions.
- Conducts product inventories by counting items on hand; attaches and removes security devices; accounts for items on display; and verifies and records sales floor inventory and shrinkage.
- Distributes primary and one or more secondary schemes of outgoing mail for dispatch based on knowledge of current distribution schemes.
Performs any variety of sales and customer services at a retail window such as maintaining sufficient inventory of and selling stamps, stamped paper, other retail products, passport acceptance (where applicable) and other retail services;May use a computerized system, accepting and delivering packages and accountable mail; issuing and cashing foreign and domestic postal money orders; accepting and responding to customer claims and inquiries, and providing information to the public regarding postal regulations.
- Checks and sets post office postage meters.
- Rents post office boxes, receives rental payments, conducts reference checks, and completes related forms.
- Performs routine maintenance on SSKs and mPOS, including trouble shooting.
- PSE SSDAs perform a variety of clerical duties in mail processing and retail/customer services to support day to day operations.
- Provides product and service information to customers, including informing customers regarding special offers; suggestive selling related merchandise; promoting products based on customer needs. Provides additional information regarding product features and services.
Qualification & Experience:
- Ability to communicate orally refers to expressing spoken ideas or facts clearly and logically when answering questions, giving instructions, and providing information.
- Individuals who qualify and are selected under this standard will be required to complete prescribed training satisfactorily to demonstrate possession, through testing and/or practical demonstration, each of the knowledge, skills and abilities covered at the level required by the job.
- Ability to reference, comprehend and use information refers to gathering information from both oral and written sources, retaining it for future use, providing it in response to request (e.g.,on forms, and using it to identify the appropriate course of action to resolve a situation based upon postal laws, regulations, and current procedures.
- This section is composed of Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs) that are required to satisfactorily perform the tasks of the position.
- In certain circumstances, applicants demonstrate these levels by describing examples of experience, education, or training, any of which may be non-postal.
- Ability to work independently refers to following either spoken or written instructions or directions, multitasking and organizing time effectively to perform work assignments, either with or without direct supervision.
- Applicants must successfully complete the Virtual Entry Assessment CS (477)
- Demonstrating conscientiousness and initiative refers to taking care in performing work assignments and working toward task completion.
- Individuals must demonstrate that they possess a sufficient level of each KSA, to include at least minimum competency for senior-qualified positions to enable them to perform these tasks satisfactorily.
- Successful completion of the applicable testing procedure(s) is sufficient to demonstrate at least minimum competency to perform these tasks satisfactorily.
- Ability to work and deal with people sufficient to work cooperatively and interact positively with customers, co-workers, as well as responding appropriately to changing conditions or unique customer or coworker situations.
- Failure to demonstrate any KSA is disqualifying.
- Ability to safely perform the duties common to the position.
- Failure to demonstrate any KSA is disqualifying.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical computations refers to performing basic calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with whole numbers, fractions and decimals.
Company: United States Postal Service
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Mobile, AL, US
Application Deadline: N/A