Website Southwest Airlines
This position is posted for multiple Sr. Software Engineer positions across our technology organization and portfolios. This includes various development teams around our Flight & Ground Operations Domains, Commercial and .COM and various cloud initiatives.
Design, write program code, test, document, and implement functionally appropriately, technically sound, and well-integrated application systems in accordance with Customer requirements, and organizational methodologies and standards. Respond to production problems and implement immediate resolution efforts across technology areas.
- Keeps informed about current developments within his or her area of expertise.
- Expresses oneself clearly in conversation and interaction with others.
- Facilitate or complete Analysis, design, and programming of viable solutions to high complexity business problems according to user specifications.
- Sets up or follows established procedures and standards to ensure high quality and quantity of work.
- Partner with Enterprise Architecture to evaluate and recommend emerging technologies, and influence technical designs.
- Effectively applies knowledge and skills of software development and testing to solve a range of problems.
- Understand dependency identification processes in technology work, verifies information and carefully reviews and checks the accuracy of own work.
- Looks for and seizes opportunities to do more or to do things better.
- May perform other job duties as directed by Employee’s Leaders.
- Partners with other Technology Team members to provide advice or solutions within his or her area of expertise.
- Analyze and resolve multiple complex problems without direction.
- Proactively identifies problems, performs root cause analysis, investigates information, performs impact analysis; formulates and executes plans to develop solutions.
- Ensure that systems are functionally appropriate, technically sound, and well integrated.
- Identifies strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Must be able to meet any physical ability requirements listed on this description.
- Develop or approve detail program specifications.
- Highly organized and self-directed.
- Participate in system and acceptance testing.
- Employ productivity aids in all aspects of assignments.
- Test and implement system and enhancements using techniques that preserve system integrity.
- Responsible for immediate response to production program issues.
- Understands and can estimate effort and value for solutions
- Appropriately shares ideas and information with others.
- Practices attentive and active listening.
- Establishes or follows prioritization processes to drive work and has a sense of urgency about getting work completed.
- Understands at a broad level how technology platforms/architectures are applied to automated business solutions.
- Research and recommend alternative actions for problem resolution.
- Expresses ideas clearly and concisely in writing.
- Ensures that regular and consistent communications take place.
Qualification & Experience:
- Knowledge of Service Oriented Architecture, Complex Event Processing, or Microservices and APIs preferred.
- Strong understanding of architectural principles, design patterns and common methodologies across a variety of technologies, preferred.
- Experience leading diverse technology teams both formally and informally, preferred.
- BS, Business, Engineering, Computer Science, or Information Systems, or equivalent formal training required.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Experience as a Tech Lead over a team of developers preferred.
- Build experience including Jenkins, Gradle, GIT, BitBucket, and Stash preferred.
- Able to develop, present and effectively communicate ideas and strategies to a variety of audiences.
- Able to manage ambiguity in a positive manner.
- Ability to assess impact and viability of proposed technical designs and architectures on existing applications, preferred.
- Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines.
- Able to prioritize effectively.
- Able to analyze large, complex, and vague Business or technical problems, articulating the problem or root cause, and translating the analysis into viable solution recommendations.
- Experience working within an Agile methodology is a plus.
- May require extended work hours per Leaders’ request.
- Able to work effectively in a strong Customer service / team oriented environment.
- Able to mentor others to do the same.
- Experience with 5 years of progressive experience in enterprise software development using Java, J2EE, Spring, Spring Boot, Spring integration, Oracle, Hibernate, Struts, XML/XSLT/JAXB, SOAP and REST web services preferred.
- May be asked on occasions to lift and/or pull weights loads of approx. 20 lbs. on a periodic basis.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience as a Software Engineer or equivalent role required.
- Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines.
- Advanced knowledge of at least one required programming language.
- Excellent partnering, communication, and negotiation skills in working with various Technology or partner Teams.
- Advanced knowledge of software development methodologies, practices, concepts, and technologies obtained through formal training and / or work experience.
- Ability to present technical information appropriately to both technical and non-technical audiences, preferred.
- Comfortable communicating clearly and concisely to Senior Leaders and Executives, preferred.
- Able to take on multiple assignments, whether administrative or project related, while maintaining a successful level of completion in all responsible work.
- Must have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.
- May be asked to climb, bend, kneel, crawl, and stoop on a periodic basis.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent education required.
- Ability to negotiate and influence across teams and organizations, preferred.
- Able to teach and mentor others concerning technical and business subjects.
- Experience in travel/and or airline operationsal software development preferred.
- Strong ability to mentor and guide technical resources, with a focus on growth of the technical bench, preferred.
- Experience with AWS, Cloud Foundry, Azure or GCP, preferred.
- Experience with Java and related technologies preferred.
- Limited travel with potential for increased/decreased travel based upon Technology Department needs.
- Experience working with or building applications using Micro services architecture, preferred.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have authorization to work in the United States by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.
Company: Southwest Airlines
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Dallas, Texas, United States
Application Deadline: N/A