Website Orlando Health
The Financial Counselor assists patients and their families with a host of services to ensure that the process of collecting payments is fully explained and is as comfortable as possible.
- Meets federal, state and hospital requirements related to compliance issues.
- Maintains departmental logs for statistical reporting.
- Performs basic individual cashiering functions.
- Demonstrates a basic knowledge of third party reimbursement requirements and regulations.
- Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Consistently meets Quality Assurance standards set by Patient Access and the department.
- Understands the importance Orlando Health places on providing exemplary customer service and performs job functions in a manner that helps meet the department customer service goals.
- Collects and inventories patient valuables following policy guidelines.
- Maintains flexibility in work schedule availability that allows department to change/modify work schedule to meet departmental needs.
- Collects for related professional care when appropriate.
- Explains necessary forms and obtains signatures from patient/guarantor.
- Demonstrates a positive and professional approach and communicates effectively with customers and team members at all times.
- Explains insurance benefits and collects co-pays, deductibles and self-pay portions due.
- Performs appropriate pre-registration functions including calling physician offices, insurance payers and the patient/guarantor, as necessary.
- Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
- Contacts Primary Care or Admitting Physician to obtain authorizations, diagnosis, and procedure detail as necessary.
- Follows Patient Financial Services self-pay policies including completion of Guarantor Financial Statement Application, explanation of payment options and collections of monies due.
- Efficiently and accurately gathers and inputs patient/guarantor demographic and financial information
- Maintains basic understanding of the medical necessity screening process and appropriate systems.
- Assembles patient record and obtains copies of relevant documents including insurance cards, photo identification cards and any advance directives.
- Exhibits competency in the use of all registration systems, electronic verification tools and Web based resources.
- Follows Patient Financial Services policies related to cash handling.
- Documents authorization and benefit information in registration system.
- Contacts appropriate payers, verifying benefits and obtaining necessary authorizations.
- Meets departmental goals regarding collections, productivity and customer service.
Qualification & Experience:
- One (1) year PC/Windows experience.
- Must complete Patient Financial Services Orientation program and annual educational requirements.
- Typing proficiency.
- High School or equivalent.
- Two (2) years’ experience in a financial, business office, or customer service environment required.
- Proficient in Windows Microsoft Office-based products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Company: Orlando Health
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Fort Myers, FL, US
Application Deadline: N/A